Sunday, March 28, 2010

2 Buck LFO

I was going through some old stuff and came across this old Wah Wah I had made a while back. I spliced in an output jack where normally you would have the circuit go to the wah wah pedal's pot. That way I could experiment in ways to control the wah remotely. Originally I had hooked up a pot to a 12" bar and made a bracket that was attached to a guitar. It was sort of a "Whammy Wah TM". I don't have that part left, I had trouble attaching it to my guitar strong enough without altering the guitar or drilling holes. I may revisit that Idea now that Velcro is easy to get.















I saw the little finger flashlight below at a computer store by the checkout counter. It has three modes of operation - 1. always on, 2. slow flash, 3. fast flash. I thought by combining it with a photo resistor i could use it as a cheapo LFO (low frequency oscillator) to control the wah.
 Here I shrink wrapped the "2 buck LFO" to a photo resistor from Radio Shack. Radio Shack has a little grab bag of various photo resistors for about 3 bucks, and surprisingly almost all of them are useful.
The "2 buck LFO" works pretty good and gives a nice tremoloy wah through my circuit, now if only I can open this baby up and find a way to control the flash length and speed, it would be really cool.Stay tuned.
By the way the wah curcuit came from "Practical Electronic Music Projects" by RA Penfold, a great starter project book. I'm not sure if it's still in print and I can't find my old copy. RA Penfold wrote a number of other great effects books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment